Hels and Kate

Our erstwhile flatmates. Fellow pommie backpackers. Things I don't remember about them include their surnames and how Oz and Beth knew them. I don't think I've seen or spoken to them since we all went our separate backpacking ways in Jan 1992. Where are they now? Married with loads of kids probably and living the good life in Surbiton. Or somewhere similar.
Canoodling at the Curry Bazaar in Crows Nest

Some Madge action
 When we all left Sydney we were travelling up the East Coast of Australia and then on to Asia - there was evidence all along the route (sign-in books at hostels for example)) that we were often close or within a day or so of each other. This was in the old days well before the existence of mobile phones and ubiquitous email and it wasn't simple to stay in touch when you were on the move every few days.


3 Sisters
For me it was a bit of a love-hate relationship with the two of them - their company was fun and having them both working as barmaids in the Rag and Famish in North Sydney, a 2 minute walk from where I worked, made getting a beer very easy even when the pub was full. Having them sharing the flat kept the rent down but they were annoyingly tight at times, even as far as using up my toothpaste rather than buying their own. If they'd have asked it would have been fine but they just did it on the sly. The nadir came on my birthday. Christy bought a birthday cake for me that we took to the flat to share. I had one small piece but when I returned from work the next day they'd scoffed the lot. That week was also the week that Lord Frederick Lucan of Mercury died and by chance our local pub, The Great Northern Hotel, had a Queen tribute band playing. I suggested that we went out for a birthday drink to see a tribute to the first band that I ever saw live but I was told, "nah, we're watching The Thorn Birds". A few weeks later they were disgusted when I didn't want to go out for a pizza with them. 


Fish and Chips at Balmoral Beach
Anyway most of the times were fun including curry nights, trips to the Blue Mountains, visits to the beach and Waratah Park (the home of Skippy) as well as the aforementioned drinks in the Rag and Famish.


Photo frolics
In the Blue Mountains
There was an occasion when Oz and Beth were away for a few days (in Newcastle visiting Oz's relatives I think) and Kate and Hels had occupancy of their bedroom. They came home from work under the affluence of inkahol and the three of us somehow ended up in a big play fight (I think Kate was after the mattress in my room but she wasn't getting it). Anyway food and water ended up everywhere and Kate didn't take too kindly to losing the physical battle. When I woke up the next morning every piece of furniture in the house had been used to barricade me into my room!! 


I'm sure they're sensible mummies nowadays.
Bye Kate



2 comments:

  1. I've just consulted my diary - it wasn't a food and water fight, it was suntan lotion and toothpaste. Messy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bumped into Hels at Legoland a couple of summers ago and yes, she's Mummy to three lovely kids. Kate and she are still great pals. Do you want to search them on Fb Gaz - Helen Gould and Kate Hipwell, catch up on old times as it sounds like there are lots of happy memories from the Lane Cove days! - Mrs Oz

    ReplyDelete