13th May 1992 Day 298

The Diary
By today it was obvious that my mild stomach complaints of the last few days had turned into the full-blown disease - the trots. The 1 hour bird walk at 6:30am was crap anyway but it was even worse as I was holding my stomach in.


We were taken back to Tadi Bazaar in a jeep with 15 people in and on it and we were given a ticket for the bus to Pokhara. Thus began 7 hours of hell and the worst bus journey of my life. I sat there holding my stomach in for the whole time, aching all over, unable to move because the bus was so full, not wanting to move because my bottom would erupt. As this was not a tourist bus it stopped for long periods at every town on the route so a few people could weedle their way off and a few more could squeeze themselves on. My seat was broken and when anyone standing in the aisle put their hand on it, it moved into the reclined position and as this must have happened about 100 times I felt like crying. "Infinite patience" I kept saying to myself and dreamt of being home or in Sydney. I think they managed to make a journey that should have been about 2 1/2 hours take 7 hours.


Just before we reached Pokhara more people squeezed on to the bus but they were trying to get us to stay at their guest houses. I didn't have the energy to talk or say no, so I said to Oz that we'd have a look at the first one. The Lake View turned out to be pretty good and I was immediately testing the ablutions.


This area of Pokhara is like a country version of Thamel with lots of restaurants, travel agents, bookshops etc. For dinner I had tomato soup and a roti but had to leave immediately to relieve my botty.


2012
The worst journey of my life. Ever.


Google maps can't seem to work out the distance but it's probably about 110km !





View Larger Map


The Lake View seems to have been upgraded !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment