11th April 1992 Day 266

The Diary
Christy's birthday and I hope she enjoyed it more than we did. Up early to catch a minibus to Phuket Town at 7:30am. The coach which was due to leave at 8:30am never materialised so we were put on two songtheaws to the bus station. Our bags were on one and we were on the other. Panic when we couldn't find them (the bags) but we eventually spotted them and boarded a nice air-con bus that left at 10am. We stopped for a meal break and they let on a load more people. Unfortunately there weren't any seats left so they filled up the aisle. 


At another stop we discovered the Tories had won the election. Gloom. We also found out all the trains were booked as the Thai New Year is coming up. When we got to the ferry I discovered that my hat had gone from the rack above. I'd seen someone looking at it so I'd a pretty good idea who'd got it. On the ferry I saw him, and the hat, straight away and grabbed it back. Wanker. 




The ferry took a couple of hours and we were subjected to a Thai version of Monkey (the crap Chinese show that used to be on Beeb2 around 5:30pm). By the time we reached the island it was dusk and we were given a knuckle whitening ride in the back of a pick-up truck to the Green Canyon Bungalows. My hat blew off on the way but I banged on the cab to stop the truck, jumped out and ran back to retrieve it, just after a van swerved to avoid it.


We had a quick look around what we thought was the town area. Very quiet. But what a crap day.


2012
I can't tell you how old Christy was 20 years ago as you'd be able to work out she's now 45. Damn, I've given it away. 


Monkey was actually a Japanese TV series based on a Chinese story. These days I'd know the difference but back then Japanese/Chinese/Korean was all the same to my uneducated eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment