12th April 1992 Day 267

The Diary
Superb banana porridge for breakfast and then we went to the beach. A bit gravelly and a fair bit of rubbish about - somewhere between Kuta and Phuket. I went in search of a paper and found a whole town just off the beach. Well, more of a gold rush, R&R (rest and relaxation), Las Vegas style strip of bars, restaurants, discos, money changers, film developers, book shops, t-shirt shops and travel shops. So there is life here after all.


We booked a ticket out to Bangkok on the train for the 16th and watched the end of The Doors, all of Ghost and most of the Rumbelows League Cup Final. If would have been better if Boro were playing. 


I also phoned Christy earlier in the evening and had to pay 100B to make a collect call. I had to do it twice because the first time she wasn't in. I'd talked to her for about 15mins, discovered Sarah and Dave had split up and we'd just started talking about flights when they asked me to get off the phone. Apparently someone wanted to phone Bangkok. I told them what I thought about that and continued talking. They kept pushing a watch in front of me and telling me to get off. In the end I said goodbye and then had a big argument with them. I thought it was a real cheek to charge for the call and then try to throw me off when someone else turned up. I was fuming for the second evening in a row.


2012
It sounds like a perfect backpacker town (Lamai Beach). It's probably full of 5 star hotels and resorts these days.


The business model for the phones was obviously to get as many people on as possible. The only money they would have been making was the 100B usage fee so as soon as someone else turned up they wanted you off.


My mate played in that League Cup final.

No comments:

Post a Comment