1st August 1991 Day 12

Diary:
Kelly drove us both to Lincoln via a water park that we failed to get into because it was too full. Before that we had yet another substantial breakfast where we discussed the sexual merits of watermelon !


Lincoln was hot, too damn hot, somewhere between 95degF and 104degF depending which sign you believed. Oz bought a new fanny bag which sounds like the sort of thing that back in Blighty you would get by mail order or from a shop with blacked out windows. 




We sneaked into the Capitol Building past the corridor of mugshots which showed that government officials in the state offices had the same haircuts and same glasses in 1991 as they did in 1942. Probably the same names as well. The view from the top showed that Lincoln was more of a wood with buildings dotted around. We managed to confuse the state prison with a grain silo. Easily done. I blame it on the heat stroke. The Capitol Building is apparently the fourth architectural wonder of the world. My guess at the first three - Great Pyramid, Taj Mahal and the EHB


Met a couple of Kelly's friends in a bar and then set off for the Greyhound station. Did a quick "We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when" etc. routine and then encountered the nutters due to get on the bus. An overnight Greyhound was every bit as bad as I'd imagined but I think I slept some of the way.


2011:
And I've never met Kelly since. Who knows what she's doing now ? 


I think Bum Bags/Fanny Packs were fairly recent inventions back in 1991 - and yes we milked the double entrendre all over the USA. (Can you milk a double entendre ?)


I've no recollection what the watermelon conversation stemmed from and where it went to.


The EHB - the Edward Herbert Building at Loughborough Uni. I used to regularly have lunch in the Linford Restaurant (which we called the Errol - after Linford Christie) and queue up to wash my clothes in the launderette. In doing my research I came across this wonder of the modern age - students today don't know how easy they have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment