12th February 1992 Day 207

The Diary
"Yo, Corey man", 
"Yeah man, what's up?",
"I saw Elvis the other day",
"Get outta here man"


Unfortunately it was true. He was on our bus to Kakadu. Fat and from Leeds, Brylcreem, big mouth, smll brain, dumb wife. I preferred him in his Vegas days. I also chose this day to wear a shirt with Middlesbrough FC on it. He noticed it and tried to make a joke about it or talk about it every few minutes or so while I generally ignored him.






I upset him by putting him right about the state of play in the Rumbelows League Cup and he looked as if he was about to cry. I also said that I was quite pleased that Oldham had beaten Leeds which he took offence to. When I bought a newspaper he insisted on searching through it for football scores even though I'd told him there wouldn't be any. He revealed how bad his reading was and then informed me, pointing to a small article, that Wakefield was near Leeds. Well I never. What was he doing in Kakadu, he should have been in Blackpool.


The day started off badly. We awoke at 6am, it was pitch black and pouring with rain outside. we checked in, nobody noticed that I'd only paid $27 instead of $57. Inadvertently got away with that one. The rain gradually subsided during the day but the sun never made an appearance. Our bus driver was quite knowledgable about the area and he told us many interesting stories about aboriginals, crocodiles and his pet dog. His standard of jokes was the usual Greyhound bus driver standard though. We saw the best aboriginal rock art yet and Beth ate some ants. We then fought off hordes of marauding flies while trying to eat dinner.


Soon, it was off on our boat trip. Elvis wasn't going but Rod Stewart was. He didn't bring Rachel Hunter with him. She must be waiting at the airport. The water had risen so much that the road was underwater and we had to get to the jetty by 4WD. The trip was quite interesting and we saw a crocodile - this time quite a big one. Everyone dashed to the side of the boat to get a picture. Our guide was quite worried as the boat listed steeply. The journey back was quite uneventful as was the evening meal at Uncle Kens.


2012
Leeds, Leeds, Leeds - Oz was/is a Leeds Fan, I spend 3 years working for PW Leeds and I first saw Living Colour (Elvis is Dead) at Leeds University Refectory. 


Blackpool - Vegas of the north and the team followed by Howie and George.


Uncle Kens - KFC


Oldham must have beaten Leeds in the league as they didn't beat them in the League Cup that year.



Darwin to Kakadu round trip - 420km
Total distance since Sydney - 8,289km

No comments:

Post a Comment