7th February 1992 Day 202

The Diary
Up early for the umpteenth time and straight on to the coach for the early morning Rock climb. 




The Rock is 348m high but it seems a lot higher when you have to climb it. It was almost as steep as the road at the back of Stokes Street in Lane Cove that I climbed on the way to work every morning. Well, it was slightly steeper but the journey to work every day was good training.


I reached the top in 30-35 minutes passing lots of Japanese tourists that were dressed as if they were climbing Everest. Were the white gloves to keep their hands clean? I signed the book at the cairn at the summit with the - as usual - inappropriate comment. "Rock Lobster".






When Oz and Beth arrived a few minutes later we posed for photos just to prove we made it. One of the girls from our bus then burst into "whhoooowhhhooo-yeah yea-----h" and people all over the Rock responded with "you know you make me want to shout, woooh". She was such a good singer that we got her to do it again and we all had a good groove at the top. Crazy chick, man. 


On the way down we observed the life-cycle of the world-famous Uluru shrimp (well, Beth had heard of it) i.e. born, eat, shag, die. Oz and I pretended to rap jump down the ridges before I yomped to the bottom trying not to use the chain. Pumped up quads or what? Back at the bottom I read the plaques dedicated to 5 of the 25 people that had died climbing the Rock. And then there was Lindy Chamberlain's baby.....


After everyone was down we were taken on a base tour around the Rock to look at the Aboriginal Rock Art, (looked like graffitti), and strange rock formations (the big smile, whale head, dolphin, greyhound bus rock etc.) and rock pools. By this time Karen had attached herself to a group of Swedes, much to my relief.


Back to Yulara we went, picked up our gear, had lunch and waited for the bus. The bus dithered so much that we only had 5 minutes at Alice before jumping on the overnight bus to Katherine. The bus was so full it was a single seat all the way, the road-houses seemed to have run out of food and I couldn't see without my glasses. Great night.


2012

Yulara to Katherine via Alice Springs to Yulara - 1,627km
Total distance since Sydney - 7,552km

I think Karen just talked a lot hence my relief when she bent someone else's ear for a while. I could be wrong though - don't really recall why I was relieved.

No comments:

Post a Comment