18th March 1992 Day 242

The Diary
Oz was still feeling ill so we took him to the doctor where he was given a huge collection of antibiotics. We then went to the Westin Plaza to climb the tower but due to the $15 minimum fee we didn't bother. We then wandered around Raffles and Beth had a Singapore Sling and I made do with a Tiger Beer.



Oz and Beth went back and I went for a wander round the shops and bought a lens for my camera. A lazy night in.


2012
The eagle eyed may notice that the original diary has today as day 244 not 242. That's because the original diary was started when a left home where as this blog has day 1 as the first day out of the country. 


This may have been the last beer I drank on this trip. I recall that we just stopped drinking, no conscious decision but everywhere was so hot and humid that we just drank loads of water and cut out the beers.


I've been to Singapore many times since, always for work, and have been back to Raffles a few times. Though it's an oasis of civilisation and a good, very easy introduction to Asia for the wary traveller it's a bit too full of shopping centres and shoppers for my liking. The really interesting parts such as Bugis Street have all been sanitised so much they've lost their authenticity. It's more like a Disney version of an Asian city nowadays. I'm sure out in the sticks it is isn't but the parts the tourists see are just too tame. Oh, and it's bloody hot and humid.

No comments:

Post a Comment