23rd February 1992 Day 218

The Diary
We went to the beach. A pretty good beach by what I've seen of Indonesian beaches. I left Oz and Beth to be bothered by the sellers as I went for a walk into the nearest hotel in search of a paper and some news. They had copies of Saturday's Jakarta Post and I managed to discover that England had beaten France 31-13. I went back to the beach and the three of us were surrounded by eager schoolchildren wanting to practice their English.


We were quite helpful, drawing maps of England, pictures of snowmen, showing them our passports and the London Underground rail map. We weren't so forthcoming with female genitalia though. I reckoned if their teacher wouldn't tell them then neither would I.


In the evening very heavy rain came down, we had a power cut so we ate at the home stay restaurant. As usual we were pestered by their dog Oscar. Oscar had a damaged rear leg. This must be hereditary as over 50% of the dogs here have a similar limp. Mind you I could understand it if they'd all been run over as they either lie in the middle of the road or pick the most inopportune moment to cross.


2012
The heavy rain late every day was due to the fact it was the wet season in Indonesia. Wet/Dry rather than 4 seasons was something new to me. We also had great difficulty trying to explain spring, summer, autumn, winter to the kids. 

1 comment:

  1. Gaz, it's me, Oz, making a comment. I've finally caught up with your blog as Beth and the kids are watching Take Me Out which gives me a rare spare hour to do something else. As well as your snowman I remember you drawing a picture to represent 'the north': a factory with lots of smoke coming out of the chimney. We asked the schoolchildren what they found most difficult about learning to practise (N.B. correct spelling) English and they said that it was learning when to put the apostrophe before or after the s. They could try teaching some of the people who send in CVs to me.

    ReplyDelete