29th February 1992 Day 224

The Diary
Beth didn't propose to Oz and Beth and I had an argument because I said I wasn't staying in Penelokan another night. The damp rooms reminded me of Pitt St, Edinburgh. I'm not doing that again.


We took a minibus down to the base of Mt Batur (1717m) and promptly went the wrong way. We were being buzzed by a local "guide" carrying drinks priced at a whopping 2,500rp. He was making us feel uneasy about our attempts at following the path. Beth then got angry with him but he finally left when I told him to piss off.
Mt Batur
We eventually found the path and saw our fellow travellers a couple of hundred metres ahead. They had a guide, the cheats! Onwards and upwards was the cry but it turned out to be very slowly as Beth wasn't feeling well. When we finally got to the crater I was unimpressed. After all, I've already been to the world's most active volcano in Hawaii.




Going down, Oz raced off on his own and soon disappeared from sight. Beth was struggling in her Reeboks and was soon covered in cuts and grazes. Although we probably pioneered a new route we made it to Tirtha and the hot springs. Oz was waiting for us but it seemed he'd had as much trouble as us making it to the bottom. We were driven back to the homestay, had lunch, used the first-aid kit and jumped in our transport, driven by "Michael Jackson".


The road to Lovina twisted and turned like a twisty turny thing. Our driver kept saying "crazy" and laughing like Eddie Murphy in Beverly Hills Cop. His manner changed when we had a blowout and his spare tyre was in a pretty bad state. His others were like racing slicks as well. I bet he went back a lot slower.


At least our new accommodation was a lot classier. A bamboo cottage with an upstairs and spotless to boot. What's the catch? Mosquitoes. More here than we've seen in the rest of Bali.


2012
Pitt St, Edinburgh - my sandwich year working for Ferranti in Edinburgh in 1986. Lived for a large part of the time in a dodgy bedsit. End terrace, damp walls, virtually no hot water and two dodgy dole bludgers living downstairs that used to steal each others giros. I still shudder at the thought.


Funnily enough I was in Beverly Hills 10 days ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment