5th September 1991 Day 47

The Diary
Again got up in the arvo. Oz had decided it was about time he started looking for a job, so I decided I'd phone Gour. The conversation was along the lines of 
"do you need a job?", 
"yes", 
"when can you start?"


Easy! The economic recession hadn't really hampered my job search. This would mean moving to Sydney but I hadn't planned to stay in Newcastle, even if all the place names were so familiar that it seemed like home and the people were really nice. Sleeping on a mattress on the floor in a room with Oz was alright for now but what was I supposed to do when Beth turned up ? Sleep on the floor downstairs ?


Went for a walk around the bay and encountered an enormous cockroach. Big, big, oh yes. Had a haircut (me, not the cockroach) and about time too. The evening was spent in the house watching TV and eating Bradley's lamb dish and various fruit pies.


2011
Gour - Gour Lentell. Worked briefly with Gour in London just before he emigrated to Sydney. He wrote a letter back to the project team and said that if anyone was ever down under they should look him up. I wrote back to tell him I was going to be back-packing there and he told me he would help me find a job. Over the years he's helped me with a couple of jobs. Lost me a couple too !! A big part of my backpacking story down under.


Bradley - Anne's son and budding archaeologist and chief cook.

2 comments:

  1. To read more about Gour - start here http://lentellsoup.com/about/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big, big, oh yes. A Ron Pickering-ism.

    ReplyDelete