8th September 1991 Day 50

The Diary


Got up late. Anne and Ross took us for a drive to Lake Macquarie and through the suburbs of Newcastle. They've even got a Gateshead here. We had a close look at a couple of shopping centre car parks and noted the big aerials on the houses. Ross - "I'll shout you"  (trans: I'll buy the round or pay for you) - bought us all dinner. I had a lovely pot of English tea complete with tea cosy, tea strainer and extra pot of hot water. One day somebody will tell the rest of the world we all drink from mugs - usually with a logo or a silly saying or picture on the side.



In the evening I decided I'd go for a run. 15min jog, stretches, drills and a pretty brisk 60sec sprint. Legs seem to be getting slowly better as my calves were not too stiff at all afterwards. Watched RL on telly again.


2011
Why were we looking at shopping centre car parks ? No idea. Ross may be the only person that knows and I heard yesterday that he'd died a couple of years ago.


Some familiar names from Newcastle, NSW. I wonder where the early settlers came from.
Lambton
Wallsend
Stockton
Gateshead
Hexham


Here some Newcastle TV that confused me. When I returned to Australia in 1995 I could recall Big Dog going to bed every night on TV. No-one in Sydney knew what I was talking about. A few years ago the company i work for bought NBN (Newcastle's Channel 9 affiliate) and the first thing I saw when I entered the building - Big Dog. I soon realised that it was a local Newcastle thing and that I hadn't imagined it.


Another alien in Newcastle - this is very close to where we stayed. Nige would take us to this beach (past the brothels in the street behind us) 


I was still slowly recovering from my back operation in Oct 1990 and was trying to get back to full running fitness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment