14th January 1992 Day 178

The Diary
And on to Brisbun we went. But first we were all annoyed in the backpackers bus by a fuckin' young fuckin' stoopid fuckin', effing and blinding English lad who thought he fuckin' well knew it fuckin' all. It was all going to be so fuckin' easy after he got his business and sport degree from Surrey University. Little does he know. Ha! I didn't even know Surrey had a university.
Brisbane at night


On to Brissie where we were picked up from the beautiful transit centre and taken to 'Somewhere to Stay' in a minibus that was 'somewhere beyond repair'. They first mucked up by allocating 3 of us to a room with only one spare bed. After that was sorted out we decided the place was a dump anyway and went to look for somewhere else. We went into town and I headed to the PW office to pick up my group certificate and used the phones there to call Christy and STA. 


In the evening we went for an all you can eat pizza place and did just that - and drank a record number of cups of tea.


2012
We didn't meet too many obnoxious people on the road but this lad was one. My main gripe was with backpackers that just stayed in one place and laid on the beach for months on end. I needed to keep moving and seeing things. 


I went to PW to try as I was still tying up the financial loose ends of my working stint in Sydney. I needed the certificate to lodge my taxes to try and get some money back before leaving the country. I think I called STA as I was trying to add a rail pass to the end of my Trans-mongolian trip but also work out if I could do a trip back to Sydney and then join back up with Oz and Beth. I found the trip up the Australian East Coast a bit dull. I preferred the more built up places such as Brisbane (Leeds with sun) and the Gold Coast to the small seaside places. We did get out on some yachts later on as you will shortly see and that was great - activity!


Somewhere to Stay has obviously come a long way by the look of the website - remember there were no websites or mobile phones back then. Funnily enough it's round the corner from a couple of our Brisbane offices that my IT team look after.


And here's a clip from my favourite Brisbane band.....




Surfer's to Brisvegas - 78km
Total distance since Sydney - 1,082km

No comments:

Post a Comment