29th January 1992 Day 193

The Diary
We all got copies of Beth's underwater pictures which were good as long as there were supposed to be no people in the shot. The shots of a headless Oz will probably be missing from my albums when I get back to the UK.




In the afternoon we caught a bus to Townsville with another driver you couldn't get off his microphone. Watched most of Dances with Wolves which was still going when we reached Townsville (as everyone but the bus driver realised would happen). After not being amused by the Backpacker's at the Transit Centre we went to the Adventurers' for a very hot and sticky night.


I started feeling depressed today, I think, for several reasons. Talking to Christy on the phone made me wish I was back in Sydney and travelling with a couple certainly doesn't help. Three's a crowd and I'm feeling pretty lonely. I wish I'd stayed in Sydney and travelled back on my own. I think the lack of exercise and sport affects me - and I've just had a year of bugger all after my back operation and this is prolonging the situation. Finally, the relative values Oz and I place on money are causing me to find Oz's pettiness with money very annoying. I don't think he'd make a very good branch manager. He'd alienate me as a customer for a start.


2012
Mitigating factors:
  • taking underwater photos with a cheap disposable camera in choppy waters ain't easy
  • Dances with Wolves is a long film, approx 3 hours
  • Hot and sticky - it's January in Queensland, what did we think it would be like?
  • Oz had earned very little money in Sydney whereas I'd earned a lot - this exacerbated the situation. His tightness was legendary at Uni. Oz was the man who had mastered the art of striding to the pub first but somehow arriving at the bar last and therefore avoided ever having to buy a round. I can get away with saying this because he's not on Facebook as he wouldn't pay the joining fee. Anyway I'm sure there are several people reading this that could give examples of his mainfishness......
"I don't think he'd make a very good branch manager." An in-joke from Uni. You wouldn't understand.


Cairns to Townsville - 348km
Total distance since Sydney - 3,261km 

No comments:

Post a Comment