17th May 1992 Day 302

The Diary
My slow recovery seemed to be continuing so we hired a couple of mountain bikes for the day. The place we hired them from was the same place that Oz had taken some negatives for reprints. Not only had they taken a day longer than promised to turn up but when they did they had an early 70s white border. It's lucky Oz didn't give them my finished film to develop. More of the photo shop later.
  


We set off into town and it was a lot further than it appeared on the map. The town had no historical interest at all as far as we could discern. and like many other towns in Nepal, and Asia, was built of concrete and brick shoe boxes liberally covered in badly painted adverts. Coca-cola is a difficult logo to escape from. Cows roamed the streets, taxis and bikes and pedestrians wildly weaved in and out of each other and the shit and the dirt that cover most of Nepal's roads.


We went to the end of town, turned round and then it was downhill all the way. By the time we'd got down to the airport, fatigue, hunger and illness had got to me. I left Oz and headed back. I stopped to watch a demonstration by the Nepali Congress Party (tree) as it wound it's way to a big tree and stopped for a few speeches. I'm sure most of the people carrying banners continued walking past the tree and went home.


In the evening I decided to have a proper meal as I thought I was going to die of hunger before the diarrhoea got me. I had a chicken enchilada and seemed to survive the night relatively well. 


Back to the story of the photo shop. When we returned our bikes a big crowd had gathered in the shop listening to a Canadian or an American (they're the same anyway) protesting about some photos he'd had developed by them. He was very unhappy and was insisting he shouldn't have to pay. We didn't discover what was wrong with them or whether he got satisfaction. Shades of Oz a few days earlier although Oz's protests were a little less vehement and didn't pull in the crowds.


2012
Instagram seems to have popularised the look that we were all trying to avoid.


No comments:

Post a Comment