19th May 1992 Day 304

The Diary
I posted letters to Christy and Neil Stewart and cards to Howie and Sylvia Hobbs and Ling Khoo. I popped in to see the Annapurna Travel Service to see if Oz had left yet and they said I should see a doctor. They phoned up the clinic and said if I came back at 3:30pm they would take me there. I bade Oz farewell and retreated back to my room.


At 3:30 I went back to the ATS and talked to them about Oz's inflatable globe that was now hanging in the shop. They made several more phone calls to the clinic and at about 4:15 I was put in a taxi with Krishna, the owner's younger brother and taken to the clinic. Krishna paid for the taxi, which surprised me as I'd assumed he was along for a free lift into town as well as to help me.


Krishna did the talking at the clinic and I bypassed the queue to see the doctor. He did a thorough examination, pulse, blood pressure, listened to my chest etc. without doing a stool examination. He explained the stool exam wasn't too precise and even if it came up negative there was still a 30% chance of something being there. He wrote out a prescription for 5 days supply of tablets and some re-hydration powders and I gave him 200rp. I declined the receipt as 2 pound 50p was not worth the hassle of an insurance claim.


Krishna had a pair of walking boots polished, I bought us both a drink and then we wandered down to the King's statue with him trying to teach me Nepali and me trying to understand his English. He even paid for teh bus back to the lake side.



I retreated back to my room, only surfacing for a salami pizza. Big mistake. Tomorrow it's back to the plain diet. I might as well help the drugs do their stuff. I bought a couple of Rising Nepals and discovered a State of Emergency had been declared in Bangkok as the demonstrations had forced the military into action. Nigel Mansell had won his 5th straight GP of the season - surely he'll get to be world champion this time - and Gary Lineker had missed a penalty and the chance to tie Bobby Charlton's England goalscoring record in a 1-1 draw  with Brazil.


2012
Neil Stewart, Sylvia Hobbs and Ling Khoo were all from PW Sydney I think. I really only remember Neil as he was the partner there.


Oz's inflatable globe - I'd forgotten about this. In the days before ipads and google maps we carried an inflatable globe around to track our progress around the world.




Nigel Mansell did win, Gary Lineker never equalled the record. Mansell's 5 straight wins at the start of the season were a record until Schumacher equalled it in 2004.

No comments:

Post a Comment