22nd May 1992 Day 307

The Diary
Outside the Annapurna Travel Service at 6:15am, the owner and the bus turn up at about 6:50am. The bus turned out to be a minibus in which the seats were too narrow and overall it was less comfortable than one of the bigger tourist buses. The trip to Kathmandu was just as bad as the trip to Chitwan and it was cold and rainy and the driver kept putting awful Nepalese music on the stereo. Hopefully this was one of the last bus trips I'd have to make.




Back in KTM, I dropped my bags off at the Dhaulgiri GH and raced to poste restante. Shades of Bangkok, early closing and I'd missed it. I walked back, put a film in for developing, took a book back, bought a Herald Tribune, picked the photos up, read some more of the 'Big Red Train Ride' and that was Friday.


News: England beat Pakistan in the first one day by 79 runs - why wasn't that the news on 26th March? Suchinda Kraprayoon looks like he will resign, the demonstration death toll could be in the hundreds, BT report a GBP3.1billion profit, a quarter of the money that the West is giving to the ex-USSR and O&Y have filed for bankruptcy in Canada.


2012
Why was I interested in O&Y ? Because in 1989 and 1990 I was working in the shadow of this big building site


No comments:

Post a Comment